Download and Install XAMPP
This tutorial was written for windows. Installation on Mac is similar.
- Download Xampp from https://www.apachefriends.org/index.html (simply download the version for your operating system – currently 7.4.1)
- In Windows, the default installation directory is C:\xampp
- Click through the installation. The default parameters should be fine.
Once you have install Xampp activate it:
- You should see:
- Click start on the first two buttons from the top (Apache and MySQL).
- Check that MySQL works by clicking Admin on (next to the stop button on the MySQL line).
- Check that Apache works. Go to your favorite browser and enter the address localhost/dashboard
- You’re finished!
- Download the latest wordpress version here https://wordpress.org/download/
- The file you download should have a directory called wordpress in it.
- Extract the contents of the file you downloaded to the htdocs directory in xampp (in windows C:\xampp\htdocs).
- You should now have another folder in xampp called wordrpess.
- Open phpmyadmin just like in step 3 of the Xampp installation.
- Click Databases.
- Create another database, I will call my database testsite (but you can use a different name). Make sure the collation field is utf8_general_ci.
- Now, open your browser and go to localhost/wordpress.
- You should see the wordpress installation screen.
- Choose English. In the next screen press lets go.
- Now, enter the database name to the name you selected in step 4 (I will use testsite). Choose a username and password for the database (you can use root for the username and an empty password). do not change the last two fields (Database host and table prefix).
- Click run the installation.
- Fill the required form.
- Login and see that everything works
You have completed the installation!